Buying and installing the right car seat for your child may seem very complicated. There are locks to anchor, belts and loops to fix, weight limits to maintain.
Before you quickly lose your patience, read this simple guide for car seats. Learn which car seat you need and how to install it without driving you crazy. We help you by selecting for you, 5 of the best toddler car seat
Graco 4Ever 4 in 1 Convertible Car Seat
- 4 in 1 Convertible Car Seat gives you 10 years of use from four to 120 pounds
- Rear facing baby car seat from 4 to 40 pounds
- Forward facing toddler car seat from 20 to 65 pounds
- Booster seats in high back belt positioning mode from 30 to 100 pounds and backless belt positioning mode from 40 to 120 pounds
- InRight LATCH system for an easy, 1 second LATCH attachment
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps protect your child in frontal, side, rear & rollover crashes; additional testing based on the New Car Assessment Program and for extreme car interior temperatures
Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Car Seat gives you 10 years with one car seat. It’s comfortable for your child and convenient for you as it transitions from rear-facing infant car seat (4-40 lbs.) to forward-facing 5-point harness seat (22–65 lbs.) to high-back belt-positioning booster (30–100 lbs.) to backless belt-positioning booster (40-120 lbs.).
For a proper fit, the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System and 10-position headrest lets you adjust the harness and headrest together, with no rethreading. The 6-position recline keeps your child comfortable, while the InRight LATCH system with one-second attachment makes installation easy.
It’s the only seat that truly goes from baby to booster. This car seat can be installed in your vehicle using either the vehicle seat belt or the latch system. Both are equally safe to use. Do not use both at the same time.
Safety 1st Disney Baby Grow & Go 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
- The car seat built to grow for extended use through 3 stages: rear-facing 5-40 pounds, forward-facing 22-65 pounds, and Belt-positioning Booster 40-100 pounds
- Side Impact protection
- Harness holders: with the harness held back, it’s easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- Grow-with-baby pillows for a comfortable ride
- Quick fit Harness for easy adjustment of both harness and headrest in one simple step
the 3-in-1 grow and Go car seat will give your child a safer and more comfortable ride. Featuring extended use at each stage, This convertible car seat is designed to last through all your firsts with your child.
For newborns to growing toddlers, The Grow and Go can be used in the rear-facing position from 5-40 pounds.
It includes two comfortable grow-with-baby pillows to give your new travel companion a snug fit, and they easily remove as your baby outgrows them. In forward-facing mode, The Grow and Go keeps your child protected in a harness up to 65 pounds.
In both rear-facing and forward-facing mode, harness holders keep the harness in an open position. This makes it easier for you to get your child in and out of the car seat.
Graco Slimfit Platinum 3-in-1 Car Seat
- EZ Tight LATCH provides a secure and simple installation in 3 easy steps: release and attach LATCH, retract the EZ Tight LATCH, and push on center of seat to tighten
- Sleek design with dual integrated cup holders that rotate away, making the seat 10% slimmer than its original size to save valuable car space
- 3-in-1 car seat grows with your child from 5-100 lb; rear- to forward-facing harness, and becomes a belt-positioning booster
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered-A combination of the most rigorous crash tests that help to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear, and rollover crashes
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in 1 motion
Graco SlimFit Platinum 3-in-1 Car Seat saves space in your back seat while giving your child plenty of room to grow, and features EZ Tight LATCH for a secure, simple installation in 3 easy steps!
The unique rotating cup holders simply rotate away, making the seat 10% slimmer than its original size to save precious backseat space. It’s a rear-facing (5-40 lb) and forward-facing (22-65 lb) car seat, as well as a belt-positioning booster (40-100 lb).
- Toddler to Big Kid: Easily transition from harness to belt positioning booster as your child grows
- Ride comfortably: Cool Flow ventilated mesh fabric improves air flow to increase cooling and ensure added comfort
- Surrounded in safety: 2 layers of side impact protection, steel frame, impact absorbing base, and forward movement reducing v shaped tether
- Easy installation: Patented ClickTight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- Fits: Harness mode 25 to 90 pounds, Booster mode 40 to 120 pounds; Maximum Dimensions: 19 x 36 x 21 inches (WxHxD)
Car seat installation is easy as buckling a seatbelt thanks to the ClickTight Installation System. In the Frontier Harness-2-Booster Car Seat you are surrounded in safety.
This booster seat features the patented Britax SafeCell Impact Protection system which includes a steel frame, energy-absorbing base, V-shaped tether to minimize seat rotation and staged-release stitches that slow and reduce forward movement in the event of a crash. Britax designed the Frontier ClickTight Seat with 2 strong layers of side energy absorption; a deep foam-lined shell and head protection will shield your child from the most severe type of collision.
Two integrated cup holders keep drinks and snacks within reach and are easy to clean between rides. The 9-position quick-adjust harness grows along with your child and it’s easy to transition from a harness to a belt-positioning booster by tucking the buckles and straps within the seat.
- This 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat fitting children from 22-110 lbs. converts from a harnessed to belt-positioning car seat allowing for extended use for your child
- The Chase Booster Car seat helps protect harnessed children from 22-40 pounds(Height: 28 – 50 inches) and belt-positioned children from 40-110 pounds(Height: 43.3 – 57 inches); Age: At least two years of age
- This lightweight Combination Booster Car Seat comes equipped for LATCH systems allowing for easy installation and transfer between multiple vehicles
- Designed and tested for both Side Impact and Structural Integrity at energy levels approximately 2 times the Federal Crash Test Standards
- Integrated cup holders keep drinks close without increasing the width of the car seat, allowing multiple car seats to fit your back seat. Harness booster age at least two years of age. Fit tip is childs ears are below top of child restraint headrest. Seat belt booster age at least four years of age. Machine wash the seat pad separately in cold water, delicate cycle. Tumble dry 10 to 15 minutes on low heat
The Evenflo Chase is a forward facing-harnessed car seat holding children from 22-40 pounds (height: 28-50″ ) that also can be converted to a belt-positioning booster for children from 40-110 pounds (height: 43-57″ ).
In addition to 4 shoulder harness and 2 crotch strap positions, this seat’s innovative design adjusts to fit your child’s needs as they continue to grow. Accredited as a “Best Bet” by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the Chase’s auto adjusting belt path assists in properly positioning a vehicle lap’s shoulder belt across your child’s shoulder to provide optimal safety.
We’ve designed and tested the Chase’s structural integrity to withstand approximately two times the energy of the Federal Crash Test Standard. It also exceeds Evenflo’s own rigorous side impact testing standards.
Your child will also appreciate that the integrated cup holders to keep their snacks and drinks secure. The soft, machine washable seat pad allows for easy cleanup of any messes. The lightweight design comes equipped with an easy to use LATCH system, including tether, for easy installation and movement between multiple vehicles.
Choosing the right car seat for your child
Why do you need right car seat for your child? Because it’s an essential part of car safety.The right car seat for your child save lives and its MANDATORY .
If your baby is securely tied in a car seat, his risk of death in a car accident drops by 71%.
Still, buying and installing a car seat can seem painful. When you walk down the aisles of your baby supermarket, the number and variety of car seats can make you dizzy.
Do not be intimidated. You do not need to buy the most expensive safety seat with all the options.
You only have to consider three things:
The age of your baby
The weight and height of your baby
if the car seat meets safety standards
Quick guide on how to choose right car seat for your child based on your child's age, weight and height:
From birth to 2 years old. Use a seat facing back. The weight of your child must not exceed the weight limit allowed on the seat.
From 2 to 4 years old and not more than 18kg. Use a child seat facing forward.
From 4 to 8 years OR up to 120cm x 23cm high. Use a belt-positioning booster seat. Always keep children in the back.
After the age of 8 AND / OR 120cm x 23cm in height. Seat belts (without booster seats) are acceptable. But your child should continue to use a booster seat until the adult seat belts adjust properly. How can you know? Check the position of the lap belt and diagonal belt on your child. The lap belt must be on the upper thighs, not on the stomach. The diagonal belt should be on the chest, not on the neck.
It is said that all children under 10 ~ 13 years old should sit in the back seat. This is true if they are in a car seat, booster seat or seat belt. The reason: airbags can hurt or even kill young children at the front.
Experts recommend keeping babies under 2 years old in a rear-facing seat until they exceed the height and weight limits set by the car seat manufacturer. A rear-facing car seat will protect your baby’s delicate neck in the event of an accident. The weight limits of a seat correspond to the seat itself. Some seats can weigh up to over 27kg.
Every country has different laws on car seats for children. In France, the forgotten car seat will penalize you with a fine of € 135 or more for failing to place your child.
Evaluation of the quality of the right car seats for your child:
You know the right car seat for your child, but what about the make and model? Here are some features to look for:
Make sure the seat has a label indicating that it meets or exceeds the standard.
Five point harness.
It will better protect your baby than a three-point harness or seatbelt.
New car seat.
It is recommended that you purchase a new car seat – unless you know the accident history of a used car seat.
Tips for installing the right car seat for your child
Now that you have your car seat, it’s time to install it in your car . It is important that the car seat is secure.
Even if the safety seat seems safe, it may not be. Three in four parents drive with poorly installed child seats. And it’s dangerous for their children.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to installing a rear-facing or convertible car seat:
Read the TWO car seat manufacturer’s installation instructions and the owner’s manual instructions for your car completely. Make sure you know how to use seat belts with your car seat before starting installation.
Only install the right car seat for your child in the rear seat.
This is where your child is most secure until he is 13 years old or until he reaches a height of 4 feet 9 inches.
Follow the instructions for the car seat exactly as you pass the seat belt through the seat belt and tighten it.
Buckle and lock the seat belt.
Press down firmly on the seat to tighten it. The right car seat for your child should not move more than 1 inch from side to side or forward and backward once installed.
Check the car seat manufacturer’s instructions to make sure that the safety seat is tilted at the correct angle.
Also check that your child is properly secured in the seat:
The harness straps should be placed through the slots at the level or under the shoulders of your baby.
The straps must be flat against the body of the child.
You can see that the harness is tight enough when you can not pinch extra hardware at the shoulders. The chest clip should be at the armpit level of your child. Do not be stressed by installing the right car seat for your child. If you have been struggling with the seat for hours and still can not understand it, visit a garage. A certified technician will show you how to properly install and use your car seat, often for free.
To minimize the risk of a child being accidentally left in a car or stuck indoors:
Leave a purse, briefcase or phone in the back seat. In this way, you make a habit of checking in the back seat before leaving the vehicle.
Make arrangements with your child’s daycare to call if they do not show up as planned.
Always lock your car and the trunk of your car, even if the car is parked in the driveway at home, and always keep keys and key chains out of reach of children.right car seat for your child