Coconut oil comes from the fruit of coconut palm. Uses of coconut oil have many benefits ranging from hair care, heart health, weight loss treating yeast infections, boosting the immune system, improving digestive system and control of cholesterol level. This oil is typically used not just in tropical areas but also in countries like Europe Australia Canada etc. This oil is gradually gaining popularity all over the world as its health benefits keep spreading.
Most coconut oil products are said to be extracted using the “cold pressed” Technique, this involves the mechanical way of pressing out the oil from the nut without the use of any heat source. the heat required to extract the oil is provided by the high pressure that is exacted on the nut. This temperature is controlled so as not to exceed 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
COCONUT OIL FUNCTION
“Medium chain triglycerides” is a kind of fat that is found inside coconut oil, these king of fat works differently from other kinds of fat located in the body. When coconut oil is applied to the skin, it gives it a moisturizing effect that helps in the treatment of eczema and a skin condition called psoriasis. You can also apply it to your air to prevent hair damage or breakage.
COCONUT OIL HEALTH BENEFITS.
Coconut oil has a wide range of health benefits, hair, and skin use as well as uses around the home, the most important ones are its usefulness in both hair and skin care.
Below are some basic health benefits of coconut oil;
Coconut oil is a great hair conditioner which helps to re-grow damaged hair. This nourishing oil has a unique fat composition which makes it beneficial for certain types of hair. Research has shown that it provides great protection to hair from damaged caused by hygral fatigue. Regularly usage ensures a dandruff free scalp and infestation from lice.
Coconut oil has great properties which makes it really good for skin care, it contains a natural antioxidant which helps in the prevention of wrinkles and skin irritation.
According to research carried out in 2018 on the effect of plant oil on the skin, the result shows that this oil is rich in antibacterial, anti-aging, antioxidant, wound healing properties.
Aside wrinkles and skin irritations, its also helps in the treatment of skin problems like
Eczema and psoriasis:
The application of virgin coconut oil(unprocessed coconut oil) helps in the reduction of eczema and psoriasis.
The application of this oil helps to speed up the healing process in the body.
Application of this oil is very effective in relieving symptoms of atopic dermatitis unlike other mineral oil, research has also shown that coconut can be used as an effective way to treat atopic dermatitis.
It helps in protecting the skin against the harmful effect of UV rays.
3. Digestive help:
The concentration of beneficial fats makes its helpful for digestion, it has antimicrobial properties which helps in the fight against irritation and infection in the gut from candida.
4. Great source of healthy fats:
Coconut oil is a really great source of healthy fats, over 50% of fats found in it is a lauric acid which happens to be the richest after breast milk.
5. Great fat for cooking:
Coconut oil is a great fat for cooking this is because it doesn’t break down easily at high temperature, it has great nutritional properties and also it doesn’t go rancid easily. It’s really great for all cooking purposes.
6.Aids in treating Alzheimer’s disease:
Research has shown that coconut oil helps in improving the cognitive ability of Alzheimer’s patients. More research is still in progress to determine if this oil has any impact on the functionality of the brain or if it helps to boost the functioning of the brain in any way.
7. Speeds up healing:
When it comes to how fast wounds can heal, coconut oil Is highly effective on wounds and bruises. It heals to sped up the healing process of a damaged tissue when applied on the affected area by forming a chemical layer which protects the affected area of the body from dust, air, fungi, bacteria etc.
8. Boost your immunity:
The human body help to convert lauric acid into monolaurin, which has been proven to help the body fight against viruses and bacteria that cause diseases like herpes cytomegalovirus and even HIV.
9. Dental care:
Coconut oil plays a vital role in the absorption of calcium by the body. since calcium is the most essential component of our teeth, it helps to develop strong teeth with the calcium absorbed by the body. Its also helps in the reduction o tooth decay as well as reduces the plaque formation.
OTHER BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL
There are a lot of other benefits to using this oil, these benefits are as follows;
This oil helps in blood sugar control as well as insulin secretion. Among other great features, it promotes the utilizing of blood glucose so as to prevent diabetes.
It has the ability to absorb important minerals such as calcium and magnesium from the body, which are the key minerals in the development of strong bones.
The fat content of this oil contains fewer calories, as a result, it is very easy to be converted into energy. That’s is the very reason most athletes, bodybuilders and those that are dieting use it more often. It helps to boost the energy level in the body.
Research has shown that the consumption of virgin coconut oil daily starting on week after chemotherapy improves the chances of beating breast cancer.
Types of coconut oil
When it comes to choosing what type of healthy fat to use there are several choices out there, among them are;
Extra virgin oil
This is gotten by cold-pressing the oil but do not preserve the antioxidants as well. A research carried out in 2013 conducted in India compared the cold-extracted virgin oi(CEVCO)l, hot-extracted virgin oil(HEVCO) and the standard refined coconut oil(CCO) showed that VIRGIN OIL lowers LDL cholesterol while raising the HDL cholesterol.
Its been proven that the HEVCO HAVE THE HIGHEST AMOUNT OF ANTIOXIDANTS which amounted to 80-87%, this is because it produced with heat its followed by CEVCO which has 67-70% and lastly by the CCO with a 35-45%.
Refined coconut oil
They are oil which undergoes the process of hating, bleaching and deodorizing, as a result, they do not have coconut smell and are often tasteless. They have some health benefits but not as many compared to unrefined oil.
This has all benefits listed above.the process of extraction helps to protect the beneficial properties and as result, they are very high in antioxidant level, as a matter of fact, they have the highest level of antioxidants. They are extracted using a milled fermentation process.
They are oil high in brain-boosting fats, they do not contain all the benefits of unrefined oil and they also do not get solid below 76 degrees like unrefined oil does.
Other fatty acids that provide many benefits
OVER 90% of coconut-oil consists of free fatty Acids, it has zero cholesterol which makes it a good source of energy.it also contains vitamins and minerals such as zinc vitamin K vitamin E, calcium and iron. since it consists of free fatty acids, below are lists of fatty acids which gives you great health benefits.
Saturated fatty acids:
These consist of medium chain triglycerides. this mineral helps to incorporate nutrients well into the body’s systems.
Unsaturated fatty acids:
These consist of polyunsaturated fatty acids which include linoleic acid monounsaturated fatty acids which include oleic acid.
These type of fatty acid reacts with enzymes secreted by bacteria and then turns them or converts them into powerful antimicrobial agent called monocaprin.
Caprylic acid, caproic acid, and myristic acid:
These are fatty acids which are rich in antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties.
These acids consist of cleansing and solidifying properties, they are mostly used in the production of skin care products.
These consist of gallic acid.thy are responsible for the taste and fragrance of coconut-oil.
Theses acid makes up 40% of the fatty acid found in coconut oil, the human body converts these acids into monolaurin which helps in dealing with diseases and viruses.
Coconut oil uses
Coconut-oil in this present time has a great number of uses in homes, cooking, beauty and all the rest.
Below are some common uses of coconut-oil
Coconut oil health uses
- It supports healthy thyroid function when used in food.
- Daily consumption helps to speed up weight loss
- Increases absorption of calcium and magnesium in the body
- Daily consumption helps to improve sleep
- Since it contains low cholesterol, it serves as a fast source of energy
- It helps the skin heal faster from wound infection
- Used to get rid of cellulite on the skin
- Helps to reduce depression and anxiety
- Helps to regulate and boost hormone production
Coconut Oil Beauty Uses
- Applied on the skin as the basic lotion
- It makes a great eye-makeup remover
- It helps in the removal of light spot when it’s been applied directly on the skin.
- Coconut-oil contains natural antibacterial properties that help it to against body odor
- Coconut is used to increase sun tolerance and also to avoid burning when used internally
- A few drops of coconut oil can be added to essential oil to make a great massage oil
- Coconut-oil mixed with equal amount of sugar can be used as smoothing body scrub
- A mixture of coconut oil and baking soda can b used as naturally teeth whitener
- Coconut-oil alone can be used as a great tanning oil
- Mixture with salt can be used to remove dry skin on feet
- Coconut-oil can be used as an aftershave lotion
- It can be applied on the cuticles to help nails growth
- It can be applied on the elbow daily to prevent dry and flaky elbows
- Can be used to avoid chlorine exposure during swimming
Coconut Oil For Hair
- It can be used in hair shampoo bars for effective results
- can be applied to the scalp daily to stimulate hair growth
- It can also be used as natural hair conditioner, apply it on your hair and leave for several hours then wash off with shampoo
Coconut Oil Uses Around the Home
- It can be used in the production of homemade soap for laundry
- Can be applied on the hands after dishwashing to avoid dry hands
- It can be used to treat skin issues in pets
- It can be used in the easy removal of charcoal stains
- A little amount of coconut oil can be used too often and condition leather and also make it look shiny
- The mixture of coconut-oil and catnip or rosemary can be used as a natural bug repellent
Natural Remedies for Coconut Oil
- Coconut-oil can be used in the treatment of yeast infection because of its great content of antimicrobial and antibacterial properties
- can be used in the treatment of psoriasis or eczema
- It can be applied inside the nose to prevent allergy symptoms
- can help improve the ratio of cholesterol
- It can be used to treat burnt from the sun on the body
- can be used to reduce the itch of mosquito bites
- It can also be used in the treatment of a sore throat
- can be used to resolve acne when used frequently
- It Can be used to speed up recovery fro UTI”s when used internally or eternally
- Helps you stay sharp and alert
Coconut Oil for Pregnancies, Babies, and Children
- It can be used to sooth the itching of chicken pox or poison ivy
- can be used to avoid stretch marks on the body during pregnancy
- A few minutes massages into the head of a baby can help get rid of cradle cap
- Can be used to as vitamin D to increase milk supply and nutrients for nursing moms
- It can be used to speed up recovery from ear infections in kids
- Mature with cider vinegar can be used in the treatment of lice in the hair
How to Use and Store?
Coconut-oil has a high melting point( about 24-25 degrees) unlike most oil it is solid at room temperature and it melts only when the temperature rises, therefore its unwise to store in the refrigerator.
- If your to use it for a topical purpose which may include hair care, you can melt it by either heating it up or by placing the bottle under direct sunlight.
- It can also be soaked in warm water to melt.
- After that, you place the oil in your palm and apply on your hair. You can as well replace your vegetable with coconut-oil if you want to consume it internally.
Always note that you dong have to completely switch to coconut oil, you might lose all other benefits from other oils.
Allergic to Coconut?
People tend to be allergic or intolerant to a lot of things, coconut is not an exception.
If you really want to try out coconut-oil, you can as well try it out in baking. And if you find yourself developing allergic or any form of reactions from consumption, then it is best if you completely avoid it. If you discover that you are allergic to coconut, here are some alternatives to use;
Animal-based fats like lard, butter or tallow will a suitable replacement for coconut-oil, these fats are solid at room temperature just like coconut-oil and they suite well in recipes.
Instead of focusing on the oil you can as well make flour out of the coconut, this flour consists of a great grain free high fiber flour. But if you still can’t cope with this, then you may also try out almond flour cassava flour or oat fiber.
Coconut milk is a great replacement, pecan milk, cashew milk, and almond milk are also good alternatives as well just in case you can’t cope with coconut.
Overall benefits of coconut oil
Early in this post, we have worked through some benefits of coconut-oil, this right here is the basics of its benefits that I would love to point out to you and also I would love you to take note of them and have them at your fingertips cause they always come in handy.
Some benefits of coconut-oil include;
- Is high content of lauric acid helps in the lowering of cholesterol and blood pressure, it reduces LDL, keeping the arteries flexible as well as preventing atherosclerosis
- Coconut-oil in the boosting of metabolism. It is used as energy and not stored as fat because it is sent directly to the liver. It can as well assist in weight loss.
- In the fight against infections and flu caused by bacteria, virus etc du its antibacterial and antiviral properties
- It helps in the developing of strong bones and teeth by allowing the absorption of calcium, vitamin D and other minerals
- It helps in the fight against candida and yeast in the body because of its antifungal properties.
Coconut-oil comes in different forms and products, you can go out there and make the best choice for yourself.
They are also available in capsules too.
I believe this article was of great help to you. You are most welcome to leave a comment below and If you find it beneficial, you can also use the share button to reach out to others too.
ALSO CHECK OUT:calories in avocado oil